7.10.2006

Bedtime talks with Punkin

Sometimes, in the middle of the hub bub of our evenings, Punkin pulls me aside and tentatively asks, "Mom, can we have a few minutes to talk about stuff tonight after you put the littles in bed?" How can I say no to that request?

Tonight, there were questions about marriage (why do some people get divorced?), family members who have passed on, our family dynamics, etc. We talked about so many things, moving from topic to topic effortlessly. Before I knew it, it was already 9:00pm, and it was time for her to go to sleep, and me to go back downstairs to get some things done before retiring for the evening myself.

Just before we wrapped up, and seemingly in the middle of a sentence, she says "Did you know worms have 9 hearts?"

*blink, blink*

Surprised, I said the only thing I could think of, "Did you know cows have four stomachs?"

To which she volleyed and "won" with "Did you know cows pee backwards?" Then she laughed and said "It's true. It's on the internet!"


That's my girl...

12 comments:

mouthshot said...

Reminds me of the times when in the evening Mom would take a walk with me and endeavor to answer all my questions, which were many. Sometimes, just some times, she would tell me that I would have to ask my Dad.

Fathers are super important to a family, but to my mind Mothers are absolutely indispensible.

Go Punkin ! ! ! !

doug said...

I go incognito as Mouthshot, but I stand by what I said

Effie said...

Well, the things you learn on the internet these days, I tell ya!

It must be nice to have those talks with Punkin! I used to go into Mom's room when she was folding clothes to help her fold them just to have time just with her. When there's 6 kids in the house, having "mom time" just to yourself was something treasured! other times I'd go for a walk with her....

Chocolate K said...

wow punkin listens to me WOOOHOOO....after i cut the worms in half tehehehehhe....yeah we went fishing......but i didn't know cows pee backwards....but come to think of it, the do pee standing up, so it would go backwards....

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Did you know there was a band called 10 Foot Pole that did a song called Four Chambered Heart?

What?! There's a song for every occasion I tell you.

Bone Machine said...

and does it require a nine pound hammer to drive a nine inch nail?

Now about these cows...

LadyBug said...

Well, if it's on the internet, it MUST be true! :)

WILLIAM said...

Cow's Pee backwards? I am confused.

eclectic said...

That Punkin's quite a kid. When you're bored/frustrated/or otherwise ready to sell her to the gypsies, I'll take her.

hellokittn said...

Eclectic is going to have to fight me for that precious Punkin :-P.

Apparently you have some research of the weird to do just to keep up with that little smarty pants ;).

Annejelynn said...

well, I give your comeback an A for effort.... lol

Circus Kelli said...

Doug - Took me a second to recognize the name there. I do tell the kids to "Ask Daddy" when I can't quite explain the answer -- or, when I'm completely amused by the question.

Effie - I understand completely. My Mom was a single working Mom, and even though there were only two of us kids, it was still quite a feat to get some one on one time with her.

Chocolate K - Of COURSE she listens to you!

Mr. B - Nupe. I didn't know that. I'll have to use that next time she stumps me like that.

Bone - Hmm. I never considered that...

LadyBug - LOL - It's that EXACT phrase that ran through my mind when she said that.

William - Me too.

Eclectic - Hee, I'll keep that offer in mind.

Kittn - No fighting here... I'll auction her, though. (She's pretty valuable, though - She'll probably fetch top dollar!)

Annejelynn - Thank you! I'm just glad I had something to come back with!

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013