8.25.2006

I wonder

This morning around 7:00am, as I was on my way in to work, my mind wandered. (Yeah, hard to believe, huh?) For some reason, I got to thinking about the movie The LakeHouse. If you didn't see it, it's a movie about two people, living two years apart that converse with eachother through letters left in the mailbox of a house they both occupied at different times of their lives. You certainly have to allow for a certain leeway in the movie -- for instance, I'm still a little confused as to how and when they "catch up" to each other, but, eh, it's a movie.

Anywhoober, it all got me to thinking about how each of us goes through our day and chance encounters, even chance mis-encounters, pass through our lives, only to have an impact later on.

For example, years and years AND YEARS ago, I went up to Fontana Beach with my sister, some friends, and my then boyfriend (we just refer to him as Psycho Bill now). While we were there, we got hungry and walked over to a little restaurant at the end of a kind of a strip mall. It was a hot dog place with a little walk up window. The guy on the other side of the window got our order together for us, we paid and left. Later on, I would find out the guy on the other side of the window was my future husband.

Another example: All the years I didn't know Bio-Mom, she knew who I was and where to find me. There were times when we were in the same city. How would our lives have been different if she had found me and just said "Hi"?

One more example: My Bio-Uncle used to live with a guy in an apartment over the barn on Grand Dad's property during college long before I found Bio-Mom. One of my Bio-Aunts used to have a huge crush on him when she was a kid. This guy now works with Hubby and is a really good friend of ours.

Yeah, so maybe these are just the crazy, wandering thoughts of a sleep-deprived mind. Still, it would be interesting to know how often I had been in close proximity to Bio-Dad without ever knowing it, don't you think?

Is it just me? Is it just coincidence, or something more? Am I the only one who thinks like this?

6 comments:

Lynn said...

No you are not the only one who thinks like this. I do it all the time. If I had not gone to karaoke one night many years ago with my sister and her husband, would I have ever met my husband? If not, my youngest child would not exist. Or maybe she would, but she wouldn't be who she is without that one specific sperm cell.

This is just one example of my wandering mind, but I got a million of 'em.

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Being in a small town like Owensboro, stuff like that tends to happen. Makes you wish you knew when you were kid so you could behave yourself whenever you're so that your future love doesn't find you unattractive the first 20 times you meet 'em.

So, tell us more of these two boys at Brokeback Barn....

Bone Machine said...

When I started working at my current place of hellish employment, my path allowed me to meet a really great lady who worked in the room next door. We'd sit around and talk during downtime. It was cool to know that she was born the day after me different year, but even cooler to realize that her father was the doctor that brought me into the world.

Even though Joy is now retired, we've kept in touch and she came to visit on Monday.

Circus Kelli said...

Lynn - Strange how it all works out, huh?

Mr. B - Hmm. I didn't think of that. And it wasn't like that... sheesh.

Bone - See, now THAT is a cool story. :)

Lushy said...

I went out on a date a couple of weeks ago with a guy who hosted a party that I attended in 1993. He lived three hours away from me then and I was in his town to hang out with some friends. We met some dudes at the dorms who took us to his party. I didn't meet him in 1993 but when we were talking about the good old days, we figured out that I had attended his legenary party.

Bloggy keeps bringing up Brokeback today. I wonder what he's thinking about?

Bone Machine said...

Becoming friends with Joy is one of the better parts of the current job. To her my mother tell it, Joy's father was a saint which is rather rare in the medical field.

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013