8.14.2006

The Unexpected

Last week, Our Erika and I were emailing back and forth (shocker, I know...) and she asked me what we were doing this weekend. This was my response:

I see... a man... a friend of Hubby's coming to take the sandbox tonight. I see disappointed kids, three of them.

I also see... wood... lumber... arriving for the deck project Hubby will be working on (because he's just not doing enough around the house, heh)

Wait... there's more...
I'm also getting... some... bickering... arguing... someone's going to get a time out.

Oh! I see rolling hills and mountains... oh wait... that's laundry.


I had no way to know all the weekend would bring.

Hubby began ripping up our deck early Saturday morning. It was a nice deck, there was really nothing wrong with it. It was a plastic/vinyl deck. Hubby didn't like how the railings on it cut into the view, and removed them some months ago. I enjoyed the improved view, and didn't mind the deck, but Hubby really prefers a cedar deck.

Our neighbor "B," helped Hubby all weekend with the deck. Together, they ripped up the old deck all day Saturday. I stayed inside the house, watching their progress between cleaning the first floor of the house, folding all the laundry, and trying to keep kids from venturing out the patio door onto the deck the guys were ripping up. Apparently, destruction is like a magnet to kids, and no amount of redirection helped.

They kids did manage to stay away from the deck when the wood arrived, though. The wood for the deck was delivered by a big noisy truck, which Buddy had a LOT to say about. I only caught bits and pieces of what he was trying to tell me, but it seemed very important to him so I listened.

I helped with the deck a little bit -- just helping Hubby get the grill off the deck, and moving this rather large timber that the old owners of the house used as a balance beam for their daughter. Helping just that little bit on the deck, and taking care of some other things that day tweaked my back ever so slightly. I can still get around, but man, am I sore today. That timber was heavy!

Sunday, I worked some on the computer, and waited for my MIL to arrive. Her birthday was last week, and we invited her up for dinner.

The little clowns got together and played with the neighbor kids while B and Hubby started rebuilding the deck. They were going gangbusters and got a lot done. MIL and I just sat and watched mostly. Because of all the work he did, we added B and his family to our guest list for dinner.

I think the only thing that stopped the guys from finishing the 'floor' of the deck was running out of screws -- and thank goodness they did! They showered and changed and Hubby began grilling steaks.

I whipped up some garlic mashed potatoes, corn, and a salad, even made hot dogs for all the kids, and we all sat down and ate until we couldn't move. The food was good, and the company was fabulous! After dinner, there was cake with candles and singing and ice cream and more laughter.

The kids all began getting a bit cranky, and it was getting late. Our original guest of honor departed, then our other guests left. Our kids were in bed shortly after that, the kitchen was cleaned up, then off to bed we went.

The whole thing sort of reminded me of an old-fashioned barn raising in a way. Working outside to build something with friends and neighbors, then hanging out to swap stories afterwards. I hesitate to say this, but it was FUN! Really!

So, yeah... it was a very busy, but good weekend at the Big Top. Today, the circus is all a bit tired, the big people are achey and sore from the exertion. We're all going to bed early tonight.

11 comments:

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Doctors can treat that "running out of screws" thing.

Lynn said...

You have neighbors who like and help each other. You don't lose your appetite if in-laws come around. Hmmm... Damn! Sometimes my life seems a little shabby around the edges.

eclectic said...

BLOGGY!! Keep your voice down -- the Littles or the MIL might hear you!

Sorry Kelli, I do try to be a good influence on him, but there's only so much I can do from here when he lives in Owensboro, KY. I mean, even his state abbreviation is kinda suggestive, K-Y.

Congrats on the deck-raising!! Sounds like you did it up good!! Now, nighty-nite and sweet dreams!

Doug said...

Sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday Sis. Workin' hard, then eating and visiting 'til all that's left to do is put the littles to bed.

Wish I coulda been there.

Nilbo said...

I hate when Bloggy gets here before me and takes all my good lines.

I just hope that this week you have all the screws you need.

What ...? For the DECK! Geez.

Kat said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend1

Circus Kelli said...

Mr. B - Heh, yeah... we, uh, got that problem "nailed" now... ;)

Lynn - Hi!

Eclectic - There's just no learnin' that Bloggy, is there? :)

Doug - Me, too... You've "met" my MIL online, I think...

Nilbo - See my comment to Bloggy above.

Kat - It was! All that and cake and ice cream, too! :)

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

At least I didn't type the one about "a carpenter's dream." You know...flatter than a board and never been screwed.

hellokittn said...

"Barn Raising" vs. "Deck Screwings"

Fun for the whole family :-).

What a great productive weekend! Hope you're healing well :-*

LadyBug said...

That sounds like a wonderful weekend, dear. So glad you had a good one. Love and hugs to you and your little Clown Family.

Circus Kelli said...

Mr. B - Cute.

Kittn - Hee!

LadyBug - Right back at you, dearie.

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013