1.12.2007

Bits of Circus Life

Buddy was running around this morning in his Superman pajamas. At one point, he stopped right in front of me, and I got down on his level. He pointed to the big "S" on his chest and proclaimed "Mom! I a suppa arrow!" (I'm a SUPERHERO!)
- o - o - o - o - o -

The kids have been really great getting ready for school this week. Really great like, someone-stole-our-kids-and-replaced-them-with-these-imposters-and-I'm-totally ok-with-that" great. Today, Sweet Pea came around the corner into our room, and jumped to a stop in our doorway. "I'm a CUTIE, Mom!" Heh, no self-esteem issues with that one...
- o - o - o - o - o -

One of Punkin's responsibilities around the house is to do the dinner dishes every night. She usually accomplishes that about 3 out of 5 nights during the week, somehow, I'm in charge of them on the weekends. Last night was one of the three nights.

Me: "Punkin, please come and take care of the dishes."

Punkin: "But Mom, I don't want to take the dishes out of the dishwasher."

Me: "Punkin, there's like six dishes and a couple of spoons in there. You can handle it."

That's when I got "the look." It's a "disgruntled-teenager-in-training" look.

A few minutes later, she came to me complaining that her heels hurt her. I listened to her complaint, determined there was nothing I could do about the problem, she wasn't going to die from it, and sent her back to the dishwasher. (Her heels didn't seem to be a problem 45 minutes ago when she was running around the house with her brother and sister...) Pans landed rather loudly on the counter.

Five minutes later, she came to me with a very long face, "Mom," she said, "I have a really bad headache." I gave her a dose of "orange medicine" (I.B.Profen) and set her back on task. So very slowly, she began to take the previously rinsed (by me) dishes from the sink and put them into the finally empty dishwasher.

After several minutes, she wanted me to know that her throat was very scratchy and it hurt a little bit when she swallowed and it's been like that for a little while now... At this point, I put my hands on her shoulders and looked her right in the eye. Wearing my "Mom face" and keeping my voice as neutral and even as possible, I said "Well, the medicine I gave you earlier should help that. I think you'll be ok, but if your throat continues to hurt, we'll take you to the doctor. Now, please, get over there and finish the dishes before your arms fall off or something. "

Well, I can tell you she didn't think that was funny at all. It was all I could do not to roar with laughter, though, when Sweet Pea piped up "Mom? Her arms aren't really gonna just fall right off, are they?"

Heh, I think Sweet Pea was a bit disappointed when I told her "No, they shouldn't."
- o - o - o - o - o -

Hubby's baby arrived today. This baby never needs to be changed or burped or sent off to college. No sir, Hubby finally broke down and bought a Harley.




Fire blah-blah something red and blah-blah something Black. It's new and pretty and shiny. If I'm lucky, he'll let me sit on it. We're going to spend the weekend just staring at the new motorcycle in the garage because, it's been such a very, very mild winter, but now that Hubby's new toy baby is here, the weather is supposed to take a turn for the worse with snow and sleet and freezing rain in the forecast. You can't take a baby out in that kind of weather...
- o - o - o - o - o -

As for me, well, last night I fell asleep watching television and ended up getting to bed earlier than I have since the beginning of the year. It was lovely, and I slept soundly for what seemed like three minutes and then the alarm went off and it became morning again.

I took the kids to their schools and drove on in to work. I was feeling pretty good, still a little sleepy, but good. Keyring in hand, I approached my workstation, thinking about the day ahead.

Apparently, I was a little more tired then I realized.

It was then that I discovered the remote for the externally flameless Mommyvan door locks will not open the locks on my desk drawers when pointed in that direction.
- o - o - o - o - o -

Oh. One last thing - That lil bit a'HOPE sure can swing...


(my first ever attempt at a video or posting a video, sorry if it takes a while to load, it's really nothing exciting, but I thought Susie would get a smile out of it.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh shit.......my Harley friends are jealouse of this bike. Good gawd!

Doug said...

Takes me back to my Illinois motorcycle days. The dyed in the wool guys in our club all had three wheelers and rode motorcycles all winter.
I remember coming across the bridge from Davenport in a snow with the wind blowing. Seems as if my cycle would move over a bit when the wind gusted.

Ooooooh what a beauty that Harley is Sis. I'm gonna dream about riding that one tonight.

Show this to Punkin'
When I was a kid about you age, the task of doing dishes was mine. 'Twas a bit different then.
We had a coal range with a reservoir on the side to warm water. In the winter the water in it was warm and that would give me a start. Using boiling water from the teakettle to rinse the dishes. Of course those were the days before garbage disposals, so a trip out to the garbage bucket on the ash-pit was necessary. Then after washing and rinsing, it was still having to wipe the dishes and put them on the shelves.

I tried every trick in the book too, but in the end I had to do the darn dishes.

Condolences miss.

Ortizzle said...

The Harley is breath-taking. Loved the dish-washing anecdote. When I was her age, we did not have a dishwasher. Except for the human kind. And my sister had terrible skin allergies. So guess whose job it was to wash the dishes?! And I wouldn't have minded so much except that, in exchange for my always having to do the dishes, my sister was supposed to fold the clothes. Which she rarely, if ever, did. Ah, the grievances of youth!

Bucky Four-Eyes said...

Ooooh, pretty new baby!

But, of course, not as much of a CUTIE as Sweet Pea.

platypus said...

Great bike! I loved the video too. What a nice moment to capture. It made me smile. :)

Tay said...

That star sure is gorgeous...perfect place for you to have put it. Is it bad that I laughed at your music choice? Honky-tonk-badonkadonk, just didn't seem to fit the moment, but made me giggle none the less!

Circus Kelli said...

A.Nony.Mous - Hee hee... come on up, you can see the bike! I'll buy you a drink!

Doug - Hubby took it out for a little bit yesterday and nearly froze! He's looking forward to Spring more than ever now.

Ortizzle - Same here, I had to do dishes all the time -- and I procrastinated as much as I could., too.

B4E - You got dat right!

Platypus - Glad I could make you smile!

Tay - Welcome! Noooo... it's not bad at all that you laughed at that. :) It makes me giggle, too.

LadyBug said...

I...don't see a video link? Is it just me?

Take heart, CK...I've tried to unlock the front door of my house with my (flameless) minivan's remote. It's not just you, dear. It's all of us tired mommies.

LadyBug said...

Oh. Ahem. Nevermind. I see the link now. But I couldn't get it to load. I'll have to try it when I get home.

Susie said...

You thought right :) For some reason, you didn't have an update * by your name until now, and I missed this. But now, awakened just before 4 a.m. by WTF, I found it. Good timing, I guess. Hey, be careful, videotaping and driving!
I don't like motorcycles, but that is a sexy motorcycle. Even I can see that.
The kids are delightful, as always. Except the one who's soon to be armless ;) LG also becomes stricken with all manner of affliction when it's chore time. Must be the age.
More than once, I've tried to open the door to my office with my little pushy button thingy.

Circus Kelli said...

Ladybug & Susie - I'm so glad it's not just me! :)

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013