1.16.2007

The Weekend Game

Last Saturday, I decided I would do nothing. Which means, I would be doing something, but less something than I would do if I decided not to do nothing in the first place. (I decide to do nothing quite often, and nearly always end up doing something.)

(still with me?)

After getting the kids settled with breakfast Saturday morning, I left to spend some "me" time, and visit the grocery store. When I returned home, Hubby left to spend some "him time" with his new baby. We each took turns napping a bit over the course of the day. The kids spent the day playing mostly in the play room. It was a nice day all around, yet I couldn't shake the feeling that I just wanted to be left alone.

Saturday evening, Hubby asked me what dish we were bringing to the neighbor's tomorrow. "Huh?" was my brilliant reply. "Yeah, we're going over to M and B's to watch the game. We should bring a dish to pass." (That would be the "Royal WE").

Now, I hadn't planned on visiting with the neighbors for the majority of the day of one half of my weekend, and I surely didn't plan on making anything special, and therefore did not buy anything special when I was at the grocery store earlier in the day to make anything special with to bring over to the neighbor's house where I didn't really want to go to in the first place. I was seriously feeling very "hermit-like" and did not feel I should burden unsuspecting neighbors with my oh so wunnerful anti-social attitude.

"Um, I could make some sugar-coated walnuts..."

"No, really. What do you want to bring?"

"I don't have any ingredients to make anything with because I didn't think we were going. I guess you wouldn't consider going without me, huh?"

"How about bringing your B.L.T. dip?"

"OK, but that means I have to go to the store again..." (insert big, heavy, put-upon sigh from me here)

"Relax, I'll go to the store tonight. I just need a list."

"Um, ok." So, I wrote out the list. And then he changed his mind on what "WE" were bringing, so I made out a new list. He went to the store later that night.

The next morning, I didn't feel any less anti-social. I mean, seriously. If I was going to sit around someone's house watching a football game, I wanted it to be my house (knowing full well I wouldn't really be sitting around if I was at my house, and I had so much to do and I didn't want to be fretting about not getting any of it done).

I made the chili cheese dip for us to bring to the neighbor's house that I really didn't want to go to, got the kids ready to go, and went upstairs to get myself ready.

Mind you, we were going to the neighbor's house -- The house one house behind us, then one house over. It wouldn't take us more than 2 minutes to walk over there, despite the snow and ice on the ground. Hubby, however, was anxious to get over there for the game (like a kid waiting to leave for a playdate anxious).

A few minutes later, Hubby stood in the doorway of the bathroom as I was getting ready.

"How much longer?"

"About 5 or 10 minutes."

"The kids are all ready. We're just waiting for you..."

"Well, go on over there without me. I'll be over in few minutes."

"We're driving over."

"WHAT?"

"Well, with the snow and the ice, I thought it might be best to drive over."

*smiling* "Heh, well ok..."

Then, Hubby commented on my hair. "Are you going to leave your hair up in the clip then?"

"Uh, yeah... why?"

"Well, it just sorta looks..."

*smiling* "Stupid? Well, no problem then. I'll fix it, but it will be another 15 minutes before we leave at least."

"It looks fine."

*giggles* "I thought so."

As it turns out, the whole day was like that... relaxed, easy-going... and fun. I quickly forgot that I wanted to stay home and be a slug all day. I drank too many Coca-Colas (because Hubby was drinking beer, I would have to "drive all that way home", heh) and ate too much chili cheese dip and very salty chips... and LAUGHED A LOT. It was good. Very good.

And, although I didn't thank him for dragging my slug-butt outta the house and making me go be all sociable when I clearly didn't feel like it, I did admit (albeit grudgingly) to him that it was a fun time, and I was glad I went.

"Great, now next week when the Bears play..."

"But I just wanted to sit around at home all weekend next weekend...."

Here we go again folks.

12 comments:

Sharkey said...

Don'tcha hate it when they're right? It doesn't happen often, but boy, when it does . . . .

Also, I thought Minnesotans were the only ones who ended their sentences with the word "then." As in: Are you going to leave your hair up in the clip then?

Circus Kelli said...

Sharkey - Heh, I surely do. Boy, when I married "Mr. Right", I had NO idea... ;)

eclectic said...

*heh*

Sometimes we get what we need, even if it's not what we thought we wanted. Good luck this coming weekend...!

Doug said...

Yeah, "Heather, seeing as you are ready, I'll wait out in the car for you."
"Oh now, I have to comb my hair."
Looked okay to me to begin with, but I sit down, finally begine to doze off, and then she comes back in the living room and says, "Are you ready ?"
Sheesh ! ! ! ! !

Ortizzle said...

Yup, sometimes they're right. But I do identify with the "schlep around the house" urge. And as for being ready on time... I have the hair problem, too. And hubby sits on the sofa waiting for one whole minute while I run a comb through my hair, as if this is going to make us soooo late. Then when I am ready, he suddenly can't find his keys (this is a daily occurence) and I have to wait. Usually a lot longer than it took me to run the comb through my hair. But that doesn't count, does it?!

LadyBug said...

There are so many times when I just don't wanna go, and then I end up being glad I went.

I'm glad your day ended that way.

lawbrat said...

I'm glad you ended up having fun. Yet, I do understand the anti-social-give-me-my-house-days.

Annejelynn said...

my anti-social moods most always go like that... I end up going, grudgingly, and I have a blast...

Good for you!

But next weekend? do nothing! (yeah, right!)

platypus said...

I completely understand the urge to do nothing! I have weekends like that too. Luckily, there's nobody to force me to go out so I don't have to put up with being proved wrong. Hmmm... maybe not such a good thing!

wordgirl said...

I think I would have been tempted to say, "Go ahead, honey. Take the dip and the chips and...don't forget to take the kids with you. I'll be along directly." Then...I just wouldn't show up. Just sit home and enjoy the quiet.

The Kept Woman said...

Awwwww, but it's fun that you got out. I totally understand the "would rather be in my own house louging in my Old Navy jammies" thing though.

LOVE the baby he got...beautiful!!!!! We sold ours when I got knocked up (it wasn't a Hog thought) and I'd love to get a Harley when the girls are a bit older...

Tay said...

It's often hard to decide whether to tough it out because you could have a stellar time, or to follow your gut and stay at home.

At least if you got there and you still weren't feeling it, you could have just zipped home.

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013