2.25.2007

Ninety-Nine Percent

"99% of being a good parent is doing what you don't feel like doing." -- Susie Fairchild

Yesterday was the Winter Carnival at Punkin's school. I was supposed to bring a baked good to it, but I didn't bake anything. "Winter Carnival... pfft. I'm not that kind of Mom..." A cop out, most certainly, but one I felt comfortable with (for reasons that will shortly become clear).

Punkin wanted to go to the carnival -- she was relentless about it. The very last thing I wanted to do was go there. I had floors to wash and laundry to do and and and a million other things I could think of. Hubby and I talked about it. "Look, Kel... she really wants to go. It's *her* school." I rolled my eyes and my inner child whined "But I don't WANT to go!" As is frequently the case, Hubby was right.

Truthfully, those kind of events intimidate me. I imagine all the Moms there to be stay-at-home Moms who are "room mothers" and organized and all involved with the school and on PTA committees and all band together to form one giant clique. They all know eachother, and I don't fit in.

Punkin and I got ourselves cleaned up and dressed and we went to the Winter carnival. The place was packed and there were kids and parents EVERYWHERE and it was loud and I still have some tickets leftover.

Punkin had a great time, running around the school, playing games with her friends. I talked with the mom of one of her friends for a while. I had planned on staying at the carnival for an hour, we were there for two.

After that, Punkin and I went shopping for winter boots for her, and to the grocery store. Two other errands I really didn't want to do, but needed to be done. It took three stores to find a pair of winter boots in her size (and I was able to pick up a couple of shirts for me in the process).

All in all, Saturday was a good day. I was glad I went to the carnival, and that we were able to get a couple of other errands done in the process. While there, I even thought that I might bake something for the carnival next year. I could probably volunteer, too.

4 comments:

Nilbo said...

I would have had the same reluctance, would have bitten the same bullet, and would have had the same kind of time you did. These events are rarely quite as horrid as we imagine they'll be.

That said, I'm soooo glad my kids no longer drag me out. Well, except for the Christmas Concert Erin's band put on. And the recitals for their students. And the fundraising pancake breakfast at Erin's school. And ...

... nevermind. Just believe it will end some time. That helps.

Brudder doug said...

Even after you have gone to the functions for Buddy there will come a day when you look back and wish you could do it over again.

Sis you're a good Mom !

Susie said...

You are SO good. :)
And Punkin will remember your day out with her.
These kinds of things are particularly tough for me, now. Because half the time I can't even talk to the other parents. But LG doesn't notice that. She just notices that she gets to go, and I'm there.
And one more thing, at any of those things, there are other moms there who are thinking just the same kind of thoughts that you were. IF they're good moms like you and went even though they didn't feel like it.

Circus Kelli said...

Nilbo - Heh. Thanks.

Brudder - I know you're right. :)

Susie - Thanks, darlin.

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013