3.03.2007

Perserverance

This has been a long week -- not necessarily a bad one, but a long one.


Winter has taken hold once again in Northern Illinois -- the biting wind, unexpected ice on the roads and the blowing snow today. Yesterday, there was wind and rain and freezing rain. Driving in that weather this week hasn't been pleasant. There has been a night or two when I know I should make a stop at the store on the way home, but I've skipped it just so I could get home to my nice, safe, warm housey instead.

I've been sleeping pretty well every night this week. I've just had one problem -- waking up. No matter how much sleep I get (or don't get thanks to the littles) Each morning this week, I've laid in bed awake for a few minutes just dreading getting up. Not because there is anything in particular that I might not be looking forward to, but just because I've been tired and feeling like a blob. The feeling has gotten progressively worse as the week wore on -- this morning being the hardest. If I could have gotten away with wearing my pajamas in to work, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

Usually during weeks like this one, I will end up taking a day, or part of a day off of work. I'm slightly proud of the fact that I didn't this week. What has kept me going when I've felt like not going at all? A few things:

The kids - They have to get to school. If I opt to take the day off of work, I still have to get them up and ready and off to school. As long as I have to get up for them, I've gotten myself dressed and presentable, too.


The CPS Exam - The last of the books I ordered arrived today. I'm about a third of the way through the first review workbook. I'm lucky enough to be able to study during work hours, and I'm doing my best to take full advantage of that opportunity.


Work responsibilities - The boss has been out for most of this week, and while there are things that I have been working on for other departments, having him out of the office is beneficial for the studying I've been doing.

Faith - I'm not sure where it's coming from, but I sure am glad it's here. In spite of being tired this week and plagued by cyclical aches and pains and the early morning "I don't wanna go" feeling, I've known that the day would get better once I made it past actually getting out of bed. That doesn't mean it's been all sunshine and rainbows, but it hasn't been all doom and gloom either.


A couple of years ago, I bought this little "Don't Quit" plaque. Last week, I brought it in to work and set it on my desk. The saying is a little schmaltzy, but the message is a good one.

So, yeah... I made it through this work week in spite of myself. I have no idea what the weekend has in store for me, but I will enjoy being home. I know that getting out of bed next week will be easier... as long as I just keep on keepin' on, I'll be all right.

6 comments:

Nilbo said...

How do you know you won't be allowed to wear your pyjamas to work if you don't ever try? I say show up in PJs and let the chips fall where they may. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

I know how you feel, though. Some days it just feels like it's not worth it to chew through the leather straps. For me - I just look for the bright spots in my day - use them as stepping stones to get across the stream. And surely your days - like everybody's - are filled with bright spots for the taking ...

Brudder doug said...

Those days in Illinois of no sun or moon, ice and snow, gritting my teeth and white knuckling it in to work - - - - oh yes I remember them. The trip home was just as difficult, but mood was better because I was headed toward home, wife and kids.

Think most every one there, in the winter time, had a tad of SAD.

Like the star Sis, good thing to have on your desk.

Susie said...

OK, CK. I was going to quit; but now I won't. For a while. xxx

Lynn said...

I hope you get plenty of good rest this weekend, Kelli. Maybe next week will be a little easier.

eclectic said...

I'm with Nilbo -- wear the p.j.s and see what happens. And I really like what this post says about you, Kel. I've missed you!!!

Circus Kelli said...

Nilbo - You bring up a good point. I'll have to think about that. Hmm, bright spots as stepping stones... I like that.

Brudder - That's it exactly.

Susie - Yay!

Lynn - So far so good. That's all I can ask for. :)

Eclectic - You're back! Yay! I've missed YOU! I might wear my pjs to work one day. It's not like my ultra-sexy sweatpants and sweatshirt will be pushing the limits of the "show no skin" dress code.

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013