3.15.2007

Rubber Tree Plant

After I blow my nose, I can hear (and feel) my sinuses crackle. I can't decide if that intrigues me, or grosses me out.

This week has been like walking through waist-deep molasses in January. I'm not sure if it's this cold that we're all fighting at the circus, or if it's the change to Daylight Saving Time. We've all been seriously dragging this week. It's not just us -- a lot of my coworkers have been saying the same thing. This just seems like SUCH a l-o-n-g, s-l-o-w week.

Even the kids are having trouble waking up in the morning. I've had to wake them up every day this week. I wake them up gently at first, then end up tickling them for a bit. Buddy had me smiling yesterday. He was awake, but his eyes were still closed. From the comfort of his nice warm bed, he put on a very serious face and said "I kanky!" (I'm cranky!) It took him a while, but he got over it.

As I got ready for work this morning, I had a song in my head. I'm not sure why it's there, but I can't seem to shake it.

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got HIGH HOPES
He's got HIGH HOPES
HIGH apple pie in the sky HOPES

So any time you're gettin' low
'Stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

Mostly it's just the chorus that's looping. Enjoy.

Here in Northern Illinois, this time of year gets very gray. Spring is approaching slowly, and we actually had a few days of unseasonably warm temps -- only the most stubborn of snow piles remain. It can seem like the longest time of the year if you don't have anything to look forward to.

Right now, today, I'm looking forward to Saturday. I have no idea what the weekend will bring, but at this point, it's all I've got to go on.

At work, I've been studying for my exam in May as well as trying to pick up some "web" projects, in and amongst the "regular work". At home, I've been working on my upcoming blog design, and trying to keep up with the housework.

Obviously, this is one of those rambling entries that makes no sense. We have some weighty issues (in our extended family) that we're struggling with just now at the circus. It kind of casts a shadow on things, but we're doing the best we can.

Tonight, we'll all pile in the externally flameless Mommyvan to get our hair cut. We'll stop at McD's first, and by the time we get home, it will be bedtime for the clowns. It will be a good distraction, and, as always, a bit of an adventure. I wonder what the Happy Meal toys will be.

*Hoonnkkk* Hmmm. More crackling sinuses. Cool.

- - - - - -

Tell me, are you more of a "Spring Forward" or "Fall Back" person?

What do you think about when you're "idling" somewhere? (when you're stuck in traffic or curling your hair, for example)

What song is stuck in your head?

What are you looking forward to?

Do you, or your kids get Happy Meal toys from McD's? What do you do with the toys after they have outlived their usefulness?

Crackling sinuses--Intriguing or gross?

11 comments:

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Tell me, are you more of a "Spring Forward" or "Fall Back" person? Both.

What do you think about when you're "idling" somewhere? (when you're stuck in traffic or curling your hair, for example) Sex.

What song is stuck in your head? None.

What are you looking forward to? 4:30pm

Do you, or your kids get Happy Meal toys from McD's? What do you do with the toys after they have outlived their usefulness? Yes. KEEP.

Crackling sinuses--Intriguing or gross? Ewww.

Laura said...

All these questions! What is this, a blog?? oh wait...
I'm a spring forward kinda person. I can't wait for spring because we have too much summer around these parts. Used to have 3 months of Gray days in North Fla and it drove me nuts then, so I really hope spring comes soon for you!

At the moment, I don't have a song stuck in my head and I better not get one now that I've listened to your song.. grrrr..

I'm looking forward to spring break and really hoping we can get out of town.

As for happy meals, my kids grew out of them. I remember saving them in little plastic boxes for the longest time. Then I ditched 'em. I don't miss them At All!

My sinuses are stuffed right now from the pollen. I have a good sinus recipe to send to you for the crackly glunk if you want it, lol.

And last but not least... my girls are 18 and 14... the slumber party circuit is still going on.
Just so you know what you have to look forward to. ;)

eclectic said...

~FALL BACK!!! Actually, truth be known, I'd much prefer them to just pick a friggin' time and STAY with it, whichever one it is. But if it has to change, it should ALWAYS go back an hour. I love me some sleep.

~Sex. Always.

~One More Day (One more time... one more sunset, maybe I'd be satisfied...)

~Summer

~We used to get them, but the kids are far to sophisticated for them now, just ask 'em. ;) We gave them away, either to little friends who were over (you know how your kids always want to give their little friends something before they leave?), or when we emptied the "Happy Toys Bin" for the final time, we took all the "good" ones to the Goodwill.

~Painful. Ow.

Brudder doug said...

Hokay ! First though I gotta tell ya' I got my haircut first today before y'all did. The two on top shortened, several on the sides trimmed, and memorial service held for the dear departed.

Spring forward or Fall back ? Heh, both. I like that extra daylight in the spring and that extra hour of sleep when winter threatens.

When forcibly idled such as in gridlock, I keep my face away from the sun and try to think up my next entry on blog or dairy.

What song is stuck in your head ? Most decidedly "Alice Blue Gown" has been for months and looks to be so for all eternity. Possibly with some addictive song to play along side of it.

What am I looking forward to ? This coming Spring and Summer and as time goes on I'm looking forward to 2008 Spring and Summer.

Fast food toys ? They didn't have them when our kids were growing up, but Heather and I gathered them for our littlest grandchildren, 'til they grew past them. What happened to them ? Damfino !

And then the question of the day CRACKLING SINUSES, Intriguing or Gross. If they are mine Gross ! And irritating. Never intriguing, but the condition makes me try to alleviate the situation, always remembering to NOT blow my nose too hard. Urrgh

Next questions ?

Ortizzle said...

I'm a fall back kinda person if it just means the clock; I take the extra hour anytime.

No kids to get Happy Meals for. Maybe I need one. Or at least the little free toy.

What song is stuck in my head right now? "Just what makes that little old ant..." That's a good house cleaning song. Which is what I need to get back to, on my last day of Spring Break. Wheeeee!

(Crackling sinuses? Neither intriguing nor gross, having spent several days listening to my intestines sing the Hallelujah Chorus. Handel would been impressed.)

Brudder doug said...

"Hiogh Hopes" was that Jiminy Cricket ? ? ? ?

Bucky Four-Eyes said...

Tell me, are you more of a "Spring Forward" or "Fall Back" person? Definitely "Fall back." I love the extra weekend hour.


What do you think about when you're "idling" somewhere? (when you're stuck in traffic or curling your hair, for example) Boobs

What song is stuck in your head? Ballroom Blitz. Please, someone, poke out my eardrums!

What are you looking forward to? Menopause

Do you, or your kids get Happy Meal toys from McD's? You really think I would let children play with my precious tchotchkes?

Crackling sinuses--Intriguing or gross? Intriguingly gross.

Bone Machine said...

Crackling sinuses suck.

Tell me, are you more of a "Spring Forward" or "Fall Back" person? I like the fast time

What do you think about when you're "idling" somewhere? (when you're stuck in traffic or curling your hair, for example) In traffic as I was on Wednesday, I think about killing the slow-moving hack driver that was causing the traffic jam.

What song is stuck in your head? Some song by R.L. Burnside. The title escapes me at the moment, but it is intermingling with Slayer's version of In A Gadda Da Vida.

What are you looking forward to? I look forward to looking forward to something.

Do you, or your kids get Happy Meal toys from McD's? What do you do with the toys after they have outlived their usefulness? If they're cool, I occasionally get them and decorate Disgraceland.

Amy said...

When I am idling I am thinking of things I should have said to people and errands I have to run.

Since the 80's on and off, "That's what friends are for" has been in my head, mainly the words, Keep Smiling, Keep shining. And I actually hate that song.

You sound crazy busy, darling honey pie. Hang in there. Better to be spinning your wheels than stuck in a rut, I say.

Here is to a lovely week for you.

wordgirl said...

Fall back is better for me. Anything that provides the illusion that I'm sleeping longer is a good thing. I don't have a song in my head, but your ant song might to the trick. My kids are too old for Happy Meals, but back in the day I was constantly tripping over them. Bag them up in freezer bags 10 per bag and sell them at a garage sale for $2 per bag. Those things will FLY out of your hands.

here today, gone tomorrow said...

1) Fall back - it's all about the sleep because Fiero does not distinguish between 6:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. on the clock when he begins his daily morning reign of terror to get me out of bed to feed him.

2) Naps. When can I take a nap?

3) "A Dream" by Common and wil.i.am

4) I'm with Bucky. Enough already!

5) I don't go to McDonalds. For toys in general, I wait for my nieces to come over and ask for them. Laura does it very prettily, "Aunt L, can this one come out to play?"

6) Intriguing...who knew a human body part, besides knees, could crackle?

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013