8.14.2007

'Magining

I've asked Punkin about this recently, but she doesn't remember.

For a little while when Punkin was around 2 or 3 years old, she had an imaginary friend. She referred to this friend as Rory, but she often misprounced words at that age. I was never clear on whether or not the friend's name was Rory or Worry. She spoke about him often enough (and Rory was a him she said) that it made me very curious. Rory wasn't always there, just sometimes. Rory was never really a character, like her baby dolls were. She didn't 'play' with Rory. She rarely assigned him a personality -- it was more like she was just commenting that he was there.

Now, I've been intrigued with 'ghosts' and 'spirits' for years, and honestly, I'm not sure what I believe about the supernatural. I'm sort of a 'believing skeptic', I guess. I could never be sure if Rory was really something/someone Punkin was seeing, or something/someone she just made up. Curiousity got the best of me one day, and I asked her what Rory looked like. She looked at me quizzically before answering, "He's purple blue, Mommy." That was as much information as I would ever get out of her about Rory.

Repeated attempts to clarify the Rory/Worry were never successful. It could be "Rory", like a person. It could be "Worry". If it was "worry", she just made it a tangible thing. Worry does feel like a tangible thing, doesn't it? Especially when you're a parent. With work, with the kids... it never really ends.

After I asked Punkin what Rory looked like, she stopped mentioning him. Did he just disappear, or did she just stop talking about him because she realized I couldn't see him? Either way, it intrigues me. It just seemed to me like it was more than an imaginary friend.

Have you or your kids ever had an imaginary friend? What was their "relationship" like?

9 comments:

Brudder doug said...

He was real to me, Big Bill was. I was Little Bill. He was older and wiser than me and gave me good advice. His looks ? Just realized that he was with me always but he never had a physical appearance. We talked as we walked and some questions he had good answers for, but one time he told me that he didn't know an answer to a question I asked, said he wasn't old enough to know that answer.
As I grew into teenage our visits became rather scant and in the midst of me chasing girls Big Bill was there no longer. I tried to call him to me a time or two, but no answer.
Was he real ? Damfino . . . . . . .

Ortizzle said...

I never had an imaginary friend, but I probably should have. It would have been so hand to have someone to shove the blame on, LOL.

You know, I wonder if Punkin didn't see something, too. Any danger of your house being haunted?

eclectic said...

I think children have less difficulty seeing energy or auras or whatever you want to call it. I wish we didn't lose the ability as adults.

Oh, The Joys said...

The Mayor talks about "Toncha" - I can't figure out who / what Toncha is...

WILLIAM said...

There is a long line of Imaginary friends on my family. Margaret, Tommy Burnison, Dobbs, and a few others.

I am like you a believing skeptic and sometimes I think they are really seeing something. Guardian angel maybe

Circus Kelli said...

Brudder - I remember your entry about Big Bill a little while ago. 'Twas the inspiration to finally finish this post. :)

Ortizzle - Seeing as how we were the first owners of the townhouse we lived it, the possibility was slim.

Eclectic - Me too.

OTJoys - Sounds like Punkin's "Rory"...

William - You could be right about that... although I think Sweet Pea will need one more. ;)

Lynn said...

I, and also one of my little brothers, had an imaginary friend, but they were really just someone to blame things on. :-)

Laura said...

Well, I've read that children with imaginary friends tend to have a very active imagination. And that's a good thing!

Did Rory show up when your son was born? Another baby in the house might trigger it, as the parents attention is diverted elsewhere.

Circus Kelli said...

Lynn - Hey, whatever works, I say. ;)

Laura - No, strangely enough. Rory was only around for a short time while Punkin was an "only." To my knowledge, she hasn't had any further imaginary friends since. Neither have the littles.

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013