9.03.2007

Not Just At The Big Top

Sometimes when we're putting our children to bed at night, it feels as though the children are purposely tormenting us. It's been a long day, and we're tired and we know that they are tired too, although they refuse to admit it, and even though they didn't eat their dinner, they suddenly have all this energy -- God only knows where it's coming from -- and truly we just want them to get to sleep so we can rest or watch television or have a couple of minutes to ourselves before we drop dead from exhaustion and we just can't do any of that until they're in bed for the evening and they KNOW THAT and use it to their full advantage.

It's like some mad kind of shell game... you get one settled, then another takes off in another direction. You get that one settled, then another pops out of their room to ask a very important question (while another one is trying to get your attention as well -- "Mom, do you know that cows have four stomachs?" No, I didn't. Get back in your room -- or tell me some very urgent thing that can not possibly wait until the morning -- "When I get biggah, I gonna wide in a heppa-copper an wave to you an Daddy an Punkin an Swee'Pea an all-body an shoot bad guys wif my guns on my heppa-copper an fy awoun' an...." Uh-Huh. Ok, that's nice Buddy. Get back in your room-- or to ask their sister a question -- "Hey, wanna be "twins" tomorrow...?" Get back in your room; you too, get back IN YOUR ROOM! Pouting and heavy drama is as much a part of our bedtime routine as getting on their pajamas.

And let's not forget the "Oh! I have to go potty!" (even though they just went five minutes ago) and the "I just want to get a little bit of water..." (even though they just drank the equivalent of small pond while brushing their teeth) to the point where we have threatened to take all their toys if they don't stay in bed. (And don't you know, when they're almost settled in bed, they always remember the toy they want in bed with them is downstairs in the playroom in the basement.)

Every night we tell the boy (after singing the Spiderman theme or Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star TWO times (and God help you if you don't do it *exactly right*)) "Ok. Now. Good night. We love you. Remember, no getting out of bed unless you have to go potty. No drinking water, and no pestering your sisters or coming downstairs. Ok? Ok. Love you. Good night." Then I pray I can make it all the way down the stairs before I hear that one word uttered so quietly, yet clearly from any of the clowns... "Mommy....?" Which I know will get louder and more insistent (maybe waking up the other two children) and will just never stop until I go back up the stairs and address the source and have to start the "backing out of the room, maybe this time I can make it all the way down the stairs" process all over again.

That's why I think this clip is fantastic. Creative, funny, lyrical. Perfect. Watch it.

So, yeah. It's not just us. There's some comfort in that.

I'm thinking of playing this every night for my children... and for me.

13 comments:

Sharkey said...

Oh, that song is hilarious! And totally true. Sometimes when I'm talking to my sister on the phone, she'll interrupt herself mid-sentence with absolutely no warning: "Get back in that bed RIGHT NOW!" Then, without missing a beat, she continues with whatever she was telling me about.

Ortizzle said...

Fab song! That guy is really talented. Loved your bedtime description, too. Reminds me of my babysitting days. Same deal but you can add to the equation: "Mommy says" + bald-faced lie about whatever it is they want to do. Or don't want to do. Such as "Mommy says we don't hafta bwush ow-uh teef if they just feel clean."

eclectic said...

Can't see the clip from here, but I'll watch it when I get home. Love to you, darlin'!

Circus Kelli said...

Sharkey-Kid - HAHAHAHA! I'm guilty of that myself.

Ortizzle-Kid - Well, ya can't blame the kids for tryin, right? :)

Eclectic-Kid - You can't see it? What if I hold it up higher? Can you see it now? ;)

eclectic said...

Hey, it worked! I CAN see it now!! ;)

WILLIAM said...

comparing putting the kids to bed like a mad shell game is brilliant.

Laura said...

One day, they will go to bed by themselves and suddenly they won't need you at bedtime anymore.
And you'll find yourself getting out of bed in the middle of the night to check on them anyway. :)

wordgirl said...

I'll let you in on a little secret, CK. My 13-year old still stalls around bedtime. Even though he doesn't adhere to a strict hour where he has to be horizontal, he has to rise early every morning for Cross Country practice...or football. He knows this and yet he procrastinates. Thank God, my older two are starting to realize their limits and put themselves to bed when they're tired.

Brudder doug said...

We went through that with five, and along with the first child goint through angsty teenage as well.

But, oh, I remember those horrible nightmares that woke me up screaming. Dad would try to reason with me, and safe on Mom's lap I'd try to listen -- but the comfort and ease was on her lap in her arms.

Lynn said...

Same here, Kel. It's a bit better now that school's back in session. Parenthood done right is a tough gig.

Jen M. said...

God - my kids drink that much when they brush their teeth, too. Small pond? Exactly.

Bone Machine said...

Are those tranquilizer guns like they used on Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom still illegal?

platypus said...

I can't imagine herding three of them! One is bad enough - and even at 14 she still uses pretty much all the excuses that yours do...

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013