11.21.2007

Milestones



My little blue-eyed baby is 10 years old today. That just doesn't seem right, and yet, at the same time, it seems much longer than that.

It is difficult to put into words all the things I feel about our first born girl.

Her face shows bits of me. Her stature and mannerisms reveal bits of her Aunts. Being nearly as tall as me, I can almost look this smart, thoughtful, caring and (mostly) patient girl in the eye these days.

Asking a lot of questions about “grown up things,” yet still believing in the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. She is a "tween" if there ever was one.

She still has the patience to play with her brother and sister, yet, I see her wanting to spend a bit more time to herself.

In three more years, she’ll be an official teenager; in eight more, she’ll be on her way into the world. Every day this special person grows away from us a little more; a fact that is easy to forget in the day-to-day of raising her, but is a hard reality on milestone birthdays such as this.

As I said, it is difficult for me to put all these emotions and thoughts and memories into words… I remember the little sweet baby she was. I’m proud of who she is, and I can’t wait to see who she will be. (well, maybe I can wait on that…)

I never knew there lived inside of me a fierce Momma lioness until Punkin was born. We love her fiercely. Our Punkin girl with the twinkling laughter in those blue eyes.

Thank you God for this girl. I hope we're doing ok with her.

15 comments:

Jeffs place said...

What a nice tribute!

Happy bday mom and kiddo!

Susie said...

Now, I cry. Happy Birthday, Punkin.
CK, I'm pretty sure you're doing OK ;)

Brudder doug said...

foswPeeking out at me,
Is the child that used to be,
From the eyes of the grandpa,
That is today.

Sis you express the feelings well !

Ortizzle said...

Happy Birthday to Punkin. You might be feeding her too many sugar cookies. Other than that, I would say you're probably doing O.K. ;-)

Nilbo said...

Ehh, I'm sure you're doing alright. pretty tough to kill 'em.

Congrats to the birthday girl and to her doting Mom. Now, lioness ... give that mane a shake for us ...

Circus Kelli said...

JeffsPlace - Welcome! Thank you!

Susie - Just getting you back a little for all the tears that leak from my eyes at your place. ;)

Brudder - Thank you, dear friend.

Ortizzle - Nope. We restrict her intake. :)

Nilbo - Thank you! Um, lionesses don't have manes...

Sharkey said...

Are you kidding me? I can tell from here that you're doing better than okay with all three of the clowns.

Happy birthday, Punkin!

Circus Kelli said...

Thanks, Sharkey. :)

eclectic said...

Awwww... Happy Birthday Punkin!!!

CK, what you said is SOO true about how they take another step away from us each day. But, you're doing such a wonderful job now that she'll still be someone wonderful to be around once she's all done becoming who she's going to be. And she will still love to be around you, even then. (Although, in the interest of full disclosure, I should tell you that there may be a bump or two in between now and then.) ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, Circus Family!!

Effie said...

Happy Birthday Punkin! Wow--double digits!

and Happy American Turkey Day to you all!

Laura said...

Awww Kelli, that was beautiful! I was just reading your previous post, too. What a great party she must have had! When she's our age, she'll look back on these years and remember the great parties you had for her then.

OH! and btw, Happy Turkey Day today!

And one last question, um.. why do you keep your bread in the fridge? LOL

Susie said...

Hope you're having a happy Thanksgiving, CK :)

Bone Machine said...

Now I'm no expert, but I think you're doing A-OK with her and the rest of the troop. Otherwise, they would have already knocked over a Mexican liquor store. I say that from my own experience as a hoodlum and part-time gangster.

Something like that anyway.

crazymumma said...

Happy Birthday to her!(I have a ten year old as well), and it is a wonderful age....

Beautiful.

Circus Kelli said...

CrazyMumma - Hello! Welcome! Yes, it is a great age.

Bone - It could be that they're waiting until the boy is a bit older. (Thanks, though.)

Susie - I did, I hope you did as well.

Laura - to keep it fresher longer...?

Effie - Thanks darlin!

Eclectic - Oh! I hope you're right! (and I'm ignoring anything you typed in italics.) Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013