2.17.2008

Comfort



As a child, I delighted in the all too brief evening hours between dinnertime and bedtime at my grandparents house on Sigwalt Street. I couldn't tell you what I did during that time, or even how often I was able to indulge in it. What I can tell you is the peaceful comfort I felt from looking into the kitchen from the living room. When I close my eyes, I still can hear the hum of the dishwasher meshing with the sounds from the television. I can see the light shining down over the empty sink and countertop. I can still feel the peaceful comfort in another day winding down.

The little clowns are all in bed now, quiet. Our furnace whispers heat through the house. Hubby continues his work in the basement, wanting to finish "just this one more thing." The dishes from the day are huddled in the dishwasher, the kitchen is sleeping -- clean and quiet and closed down for the night.

I am thankful for the warmth and comfort and love that surrounds me. Even more so to be able to stop, breathe deep and have the time to savor it.

10 comments:

Mama Drama Jenny, the Bloggess said...

Amen, amen.

WILLIAM said...

Such a great post. I cherish that time aftyer dinner but before bed as well.

Nance said...

I still marvel, after growing up in a house of 6 with NO dishwasher, how smug and snug the sound of a machine doing my dishes can make me feel.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It truly is the little things in life . . .

Circus Kelli said...

MDJen - Back at ya.

William - Thank you.

Nance - Sounds like you had SIX dishwashers to me. :)

Jenn - That it is.

eclectic said...

Stop and smell the roses?? That's crazy talk when you can stop and listen to the dishwasher and the dryer!! :)

whatwasithinking said...

This is lovely. Is that your kitchen? I wanna sit there and drink something.

--Susan Lyn

a. beaverhausen said...

Can I just say how much I love this picture? As well as the words that accompany it.

eclectic said...

"Susan Lyn"?!?!?!?!

Geeez. And I thought I'd heard ever'thing.

Circus Kelli said...

Eclectic - In the absence of roses, it'll do quite nicely. :)

Susielyns - Thank you. Yes. You're welcome to anytime.

AB - Thank you!

Eclectic - You really gotta just yell it out the front door to get the real affect -- "SUSAN LYN!! GET IN HERE RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!"

That also confuses the kids and some of the neighbors, just so you know...

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013