2.21.2008

Daddy's Buddy


He's tired, but as soon as he hears our radio alarm clock go off, he's in our room, asking to lay in our bed until Daddy is ready to leave for work.

When Daddy goes downstairs, his Buddy goes with him.

When Buddy was born six and a half weeks early, I couldn't get down to the nursery right away to see him. Hubby made a video of Buddy, laying there on the "fry warmer", wearing his little newborn hat, hooked up to the machines. Hubby's voice, and the machines are all you hear on the video. "Hi there, Little Buddy..." he said.
Hugs, kisses and "I love yous" are exchanged.

As Daddy gets into his truck, Buddy runs back upstairs and positions himself at our bedroom window -- urging me to hurry along as he goes.

"C'mon Mom! Dad's leavin'!"

We stand by the window, waving, and waiting for Daddy to tap the brake lights a few times. He exits the garage, then the driveway, then motors on down the street. Buddy watches and waves until Daddy is out of sight.

13 comments:

Nance said...

I hope this is forever...for all three of you.

Anonymous said...

Our firstborn used to be a real buddy to Gordon too. One day as we watched Gordon go out to his truck to go to work, Richard surprised me by declaring in his little high pitched voice, "Daddy's a very nice fellow, isn't he?"

Kids.

eclectic said...

To this day, I recall standing at the living room window waiting for Dad to drive through the little arched driveway in front of our house so I could wave goodbye that one last time on his way to work. To this day, it makes me feel loved and important.

WILLIAM said...

Wow. My kids just wave from the front of the TV watching the Upside Down show.

LadyBug said...

What a sweet portrait (both the photo and your words) of Daddy's Boy.

Love and hugs to you, CK.

kcinnova said...

awwww...

Enjoy it while they're young. Now I have to remind them to be happy like a puppy when dad comes home.

bonnie said...

How precious.

Doug sent word he talked to you.

Laura said...

Oh, that is so sweet!! Your hub is lucky. ;)
And Kelli, you should frame that photo. Love that one!

Susie said...

I love your little family vignettes. Your life is beautiful. (Yes, I know into each life some suckage must fall; but still, beautiful.)

Anonymous said...

I was pretty young when I noticed that Peggy our beloved wirehaired fox terrier would begin to cut didos around the front door. Canine radar ? Maybe so, seemed to indicate how close to home Dad was.

Character Builder said...

Awwww, so sweet. That's a lucky daddy and a lucky Buddy. Lucky Kelli, too. This will be a wonderful memory for all of you, and someday Buddy will have a child who will probably do the same thing.

Bone Machine said...

This is where I would normally type something rather snotty. Well, this post pretty much trumped the snottiness.

I got nothing.

I hope you're happy with yourself.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'm glad you captured the moment.

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013