5.13.2008

Happy Hour

There is a span of time between when I pick up the clowns from school and when we all sit down to dinner that I usually (sarcastically) refer to as "Happy Hour." A while back, I began letting the clowns watch movies in the van on the way home. I did this becase I got tired of listening to them bicker with each other while we inch along in traffic. It may be a cop out of sorts, but is way easier on my nerves.

So, now the clowns are involved in the movie of the week on the way home. Hell doesn't break loose now until we land in our big top foyer.

"Mom! What's for dinner?" and no matter which answer I give, I am most often met with "I don't like that! I don't want that! I'm not going to eat that!"

Yesterday was one of the better days. Everyone was pleased with the night's dinner choice (tacos) and the clowns were excited because they could play outside while they waited for dinner to be ready for them.



I watched the three clowns on the playset outside through the window above the sink in the kitchen as I made dinner. They were playing and running and chasing and loudly discussing strategy and their next moves. Buddy "died" dramatically in the backyard grass several times.

Punkin climbed to the uppermost "deck" of the playset, and I noticed that she is nearly too tall to stand up there. As I considered this, she saw me watching her and promptly grinned and waved.

A thought crossed my mind, and before my grownup inner voice could say "No, don't do that", I threw my hands up in the air, made a goofy face, stuck out my tongue, and dropped to the floor -- all in full view of that window above the sink.

I waited a beat or two, then slowly stood back up and peeked out the window. Punkin was still standing on that upper deck, mouth open in disbelief for a moment before she began laughing.



The two of us were laughing at eachother, which attracted the attention of the two littles. In order to find out what was up, they climbed up on the deck bench and peeked in the kitchen window at me. I made another goofy face and again dropped to the floor. After that, I split the rest of the time before dinner being "shot" and "dying" while I made dinner, chatted with Hubby, cleared out the dishwasher and set the table. I could hear the kids giggling through the kitchen window.



Dinner was a bit later than usual, but for once in a very long while, Happy Hour, really was Happy.

18 comments:

so NOT cool said...

The shadows remind me of a scarecrow. :)

Sharkey said...

So funny! I can't imagine my mom doing something like that.

Brudder doug said...

I made a proposal to you in another place Sis, please tell me what your fee is -- double it and the deal is solid !

eclectic said...

Around here, we call it "Arsenic Hour", but I've never figured out whether to give it to them or take it myself.

Glad you guys had fun!! Sometimes the best moments are the surprise ones.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That's the stuff great memories are made of!

WILLIAM said...

Happy Hour. I like that.

Claudia said...

""Mom! What's for dinner?" and no matter which answer I give, I am most often met with "I don't like that! I don't want that! I'm not going to eat that!"" - - you've been spying on my family again, haven't you??! ;)

Sounds like a wonderful, wonderful moment in time...sometimes letting go and just being CAN be fun, eh? (( hugs )) Rocking Mama, you are my dear.

crazymumma said...

Yeah. I thought of a Scarecrow as well.

Thanks for the reminder to goof out with my kids more often..

Nance said...

How long do you think THAT will work? LOL

Bone Machine said...

zMake every night taco night served with a little performance art.

Claudia said...

I've got the hour, you've got the happy, who has the booze??!

Mama Zen said...

Again! Again!

Circus Kelli said...

So Cool - I didn't notice that! :)

Sharkey - My one Mom no, My other Mom, yes.

Brudder - Answered in another place. Still love you.

Eclectic - I LOVE the surprise moments!

Jenn - Isn't it though?!

William - :)

Claudia - Yes. I've been spying. I'm a stalker. Didn't I mention that?

CrazyMumma - We all need a reminder like that.

Nance - Not long enough. ;)

Bone - Now THERE'S an idea! The kids would miss the chicken nuggets, though...

Claudia - We'll each bring some and meet in the middle. It's been a nutty week here.

Mama Zen - Thanks for stopping by! I'll do it again, but I may be hurtin tomorrow because of it. :)

David said...

You are an amazing Mom!
I would of wanted you under our Big Tent when I was small enough to be in the circus.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

I love doing silly stuff like that with the kids. My kids think I'm crazy, but you know what I think they secretly love it!

Bone Machine said...

And thus chicken nugget tacos were born.

Annejelynn said...

awesome

Circus Kelli said...

David - Aw, shucks.

Mrs S - I don't do "silly" nearly enough.

Bone - I think you might be on to something there!

Annejelynn - You too!

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013