5.06.2008

The Hug Mugger

We have a routine when we dropped the girls off at school. I sign them in as the girls set down their backpacks in their usual spots. Buddy comes along and picks out a picture to color and brings it with him to his school.

Leaving can be tricky sometimes. If we're having a "sensitive" morning, Sweet Pea may be sad and possibly cry when I have to leave. It breaks my heart--even as I know she'll be fine moments after I leave.

She started to be a bit sad this morning, then recovered nicely after an extra round of hugs and kisses. Buddy had run over to the outside doors as I did this today. After Sweet Pea and I had separated and walked each about 10 paces in opposite directions, Buddy popped out of his hiding place and started running, calling to his sister at the same time. "Sweet Pea! Sweet Pea!" I called her once to get her attention and she turned just in time to accept a quick running hug from Buddy. The hug was sudden and quick and was more like a mugging than a hugging.

After saying goodbye to Sweet Pea, he searched out and found Punkin sitting at a table. He made a beeline for her "PUNKIN!!" and mug hugged her, too. He didn't run then, though. Instead, he grabbed her face in both his hands, and planted a goodbye kiss on her before running off.

My heart smiled in the moments before I saw Punkin's startled expression. I laughed out loud. Our boy is a kissing bandit hug mugger.

Egads.

12 comments:

Sharkey said...

Too funny--what a great start to your day!

Claudia said...

Yeah? Well, who did he learn it from, hmmmmm???

Mrs. Schmitty said...

OMG! How very sweet that was!

Lynn said...

Aw. It's so nice when kids are being especially sweet to each other. That sounds like something my littlest would do, but the bigger ones are too big to appreciate it now and would think it was yucky. :-(

WILLIAM said...

Mug Hugger. I like that.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Love it.

eclectic said...

Hee! Hard to be teary when you're recovering from a drive-by hugging by a wee sprout! Yay Buddy for finding the perfect way to keep Sweet Pea from being sad! Of course, if this had happened with my kids, someone would have gotten hurt accidentally, because that's just my crazy luck...! ;)

crazymumma said...

He sounds like he knows how to make hard goodbyes sweet. Wonder who he got that from? Hmmmm.....

Circus Kelli said...

CrazyMumma - I wish I knew. :)

Eclectic - That happens at our house, too. This was a lucky time.

Jenn - Me too!

William - Actually, no, it's a... oh, nevermind.

Lynn - It seems to be a rare moment when they're sweet to each other. :)

Mrs. S - Yes, it was!

Claudia - Golly, I don't know...

Sharkey - It really was a good start!

Brudder doug said...

Way to go, Buddy !!! As they sing in the hymn, "Love is the theme."

Mrs. G. said...

Those unexpected kisses are most often the best! What a sweetheart.

Annejelynn said...

I am a confessed hug mugger myself - - he'll be okay

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013