1.20.2009

A Personal Political Epiphany

I am a coward.

I am not a very political person, and I hardly ever talk about my personal political preferences.

I am always afraid that I do not know enough about the situation, and that I will come off looking like an idiot if I become engaged in discussion about the "issues" -- mostly because I do not know very much about them. I also do not want to offend anyone, or get into a heated debate.

Politics were never a topic of conversation while I was growing up. I couldn't tell you if my Mom even voted. There are prejudices instilled in me while I was growing up that I struggle with/against daily. I think all or at least most of us do. I've long felt that voting for a President was really choosing "the lesser of two evils."

Although today is the inaguration, I've pretty much stayed away from all the coverage. I've never been one to get caught up in all that hoopla. The idea of being amongst all those people in Washington, DC right now gives me the heebie jeebies. That is WAY too many people in one place.

Back in November, I reluctantly voted for McCain because I figured the "old white guy" would win in the end, rather than vote for Obama - the one I considered the underdog. "He'll never win, there are too many people who would be all bent out of shape with an African-American in the White House." -- What the hell kind of thinking was that, anyway?

Truthfully, I think its pretty cool that Obama won. Not only for the history factor and how far African-Americans have come, but because I have a sense of "Ok, now we'll get some positive change going here." I think Obama has some serious potential to do that. Maybe he won't be perfect, but hell, who is? Too many people only see the color of his skin. He got into the office just like every other former President did -- on promises. Some will be broken, some may not measure up, but can we not just suspend our judgement and believe in him for a while and see how it all shakes out?

You may think I have been taken in by those pretty promises of "Change" and "Hope" -- is it wrong to feel hopeful? Honestly, I think this country needs some change -- even if I can't yet articulate exactly what that change should be.

And that is something I will be working on.

Good Luck, President Obama.

9 comments:

Al Degutis said...

Thanks for sharing that! I'm not very political either, but have paid a little more attention to politics in the last 2 or 3 years. I agree that we need a change and hopefully this is the beginning of better times in America, and the world, for all of us.

Nilbo said...

I loved the honesty and innocence in this. I think you speak for a lot of people ... unsure, reluctant to foist your opinions on the world. That's a good thing.

Dave said...

Well said! Honest and wonderful.
Thanks!

Rick said...

Thank you for posting this! I know that you speak for my wife who is not very politically inclined but yet is hopeful that the next four years mark a change from business as usual in our government.

I cannot say how successful Barack will be. I cannot predict how he will leave his mark on this country. But I know that a lot of people are getting involved who haven't done so in the past. This is a good thing.

Oh, and as for the fact that he is an African American, I am very proud and excited that we as a country have reached a point in our collective life together where this can come to pass. We are not a perfect country, but we are trying to walk the path.

I for one will be pretty emotional suring the Oath of Office. As will most of my family as we reflect upon the sacrifices and dreams of our parents, grandparents, and forebearers who paved the way for today.

Vajana said...

I feel the same way sometimes, but after what we've gone through as a country in the past 8 years, we need to just stick together as one and be the change we want to see in the USA. Good post, CK!

Squirl said...

I keep my blog pretty apolitical. My tag line is "Looking for fun and feeling groovy", after all.

I did vote for Obama. And even though he is one person, look at the mood of the public. I haven't seen us this upbeat and hopeful for a long, long time. That kind of positive energy carries itself along.

Thinking that this will be a good thing. Thanks, CK.

eclectic said...

Brava, Chica! Have I told you lately that I love you?

WILLIAM said...

Kel, This is a great post. I follow politics. I know the players and phrases and the pundits but I too do not mention politics in my posts. I believe I will never be able to sway a persons view point to my view point.

Obama has campiagned on yes WE can. He has inspired people to get involved. I just hope that he will be able to keep people involved and that the people including myself will remember the WE part.

Ern said...

Well said. And I always have the hope that after a new leader is elected in this country (complete with the peaceful transfer of power), everyone will get behind him, at least at first.

All Circus Life pages and content are owned and
copyrighted by me, 2000-2013